The Church buildings
A church has existed in Beckenham since 1100, but tradition has it that St. Augustine built a wooden church here in the 6th Century. It is believed that the old church was built in the reign of Edward III (1327-77)
The present church replaced the building pulled down in 1885-86 and was built in four stages over a period of 18 years from 1885. In 1903 the final part, the tower, was completed and the bells rehung.
During construction of the nave, a temporary iron structure took the place of the body of the church, and the nave was erected over that.
Historic Stained Glass
There is a mixture of Victorian and modern stained glass windows in St. George's church. This results from the severe damage to the church which occurred in 1944 when two flying bombs fell within 200 meters of the building. The explosions destroyed 111 of the 132 stained glass window panels, and severely damaged 14 others; only seven remained intact.
Thomas Freeth, a local art teacher, designed all the modern windows in St. George's. He died in 1994, leaving designs for some of the windows which are still "un-stained".